Tuesday, March 5, 2013

a quarter century

A quarter century!?! holy &*^% that sounds like a long time...

As of this week, that's how long I've been alive. 

Sort of makes me want to throw up. 

Joking aside, I really can't believe I turned 25 on Monday. I think this is the age I'm going to stay at for the rest of my life, if you know what I mean. My mom and I used to talk about how when we were little girls we could never picture ourselves getting past a certain age, so we were really uncertain as to what was going to happen to us once we reached that age... (morbid, huh?)

Relax, my age was 23... and I'm still truckin' 2 years later.

In honor of the fact that I am now officially closer to 30 than 20, and definitely ripe with wisdom, I thought I would share some of my hard-learned and favorite lessons from the last 25 years:

*When you treat your body right through health and fitness, it rewards you in ways you never imagined - like giving you the ability to run marathons, climb mountains, or simply the ability to walk down the stairs in the morning.
*Always be thankful for these and all of your abilities, especially because there's millions of people out there who aren't fortunate enough to have them.
*Waterproof mascara is always a MUST, especially for the initial viewing of PS I love you (right, JNR?)
*Breakups are always going to suck. You get hurt. You hurt someone. However, they are also some of the best teachers - learn from them. Learn about yourself, how you want to be treated, how others deserve to be treated.
*Never settle.
*Education is important. Treasure it. People can steal all of your worldly possessions, but they can never take away your knowledge, beliefs, and opinions. Also remember, not all learning has to be done in the classroom or in books.
*Always. Always. Always. treasure your girlfriends. Relationships with your closest friends are different from any other. They understand you on a level that a lover can't, and their support is something that shouldn't be taken for granted. Be the kind of friend you'd want to have.
*When in doubt - eat the ice cream... Or the cupcake, or the oreo, or the MEGA STUFFED oreo. Life's too short to worry about that extra dimple on your butt. (Right VM?!).
*Listen to your mother. She is always right (as much as I hate to admit that). Don't be afraid to share things with her, it will make you closer. Besides, she was a naive/inexperienced/scared kid once, too, why not learn from her mistakes? (Kidding, Mom.)
*Stay close to your siblings (Rights, MattK?) If you want to know why, listen to the Sunscreen Song.
*Never take yourself too seriously. No one else does.
*Travel. (But don't always drink the water).

If you made it through that whole list you deserve a cookie (or a cupcake, or a MEGA stuffed oreao)

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment